November 19th, 2017
West Virginia Mountaineers: Quarterback Will Grier expected to be out 4-6 weeks with broken finger
- West Virginia quarterback Will Grier officially has a timetable and it is 4-6 weeks. Will Grier sustained a gruesome broken finger injury this past Saturday when he attempted to run for the touchdown and when he stretched out to hit the pylon he awkwardly landed on his hand breaking his finger (WATCH HERE). Will Grier was replaced by Chris Chugunov who is expected to remain the starter for the remainder of the season. Will Grier will undergo surgery and could be in danger of missing the team’s bowl game. The Mountaineers will hope that Grier will recover ahead of schedule and be back in time for the team’s bowl game. (Source: Barrett Sallee)
Nebraska Cornhuskers: Running back Tre Bryant will not play Saturday vs. Ohio State
- Sophomore Tre Bryant was attempting to play this week against Ohio State but his knee injury continues to keep holding him back from a return. Tre Bryant has missed the last four games this season and with him missing another game his outlook for the remainder of the season looks bleak. Other media outlets suggest possible redshirting and we would have to agree in their favor. Mikale Wilbon and Devine Ozigbo will work as the 1-2 punch for Nebraska this weekend.
Bowling Green Falcons: Freshman quarterback Jarret Doege will not start Saturday vs. Ohio
- BCSN has reported that freshman quarterback Jarret Doege will not start Saturday due to a back injury. Bowling Green head coach Mike Jinks was quoted saying “We’re not going to play Jarret until he is 100 percent. Right now we list him as a day-to-day.” In replacement for Doege, Bowling Green will return with sophomore James Morgan as the starter over freshman Grant Loy who took snaps under center during practice. Bowling Green sits at 1-5 on the year so experimenting with Loy would not have been bad but he might be used at a different time.
Kansas State Wildcats: Quarterback Jesse Ertz will start Saturday vs. TCU if he is healthy enough
- Kellis Robinett has reported that if Kansas State quarterback Jesse Ertz is healthy enough to play on Saturday against TCU he will be named the starter. Jesse Ertz went down with an unknown injury this past weekend against Texas and was replaced by sophomore quarterback, Alex Delton. Alex Delton will get the nod on Saturday should Ertz not play. True freshman Skylar Thompson will serve as the backup to Delton on Saturday pending the decision on Ertz. (Source: Kellis Robinett)
Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns: Andre Nunez to start at quarterback over Jordan Davis vs. Texas State
- Junior quarterback Andre Nunez will get the starting nod this Saturday against Texas State over Jordan Davis. Jordan Davis has been struggling as of late for the Cajuns as of late and was even replaced in favor of Nunez this past week against Idaho. Andre Nunez has spent most of the season as the backup to Jordan Davis but in the last two weeks, he has come in substitution for him. Andre Nunez is currently posting a solid 3/1 TD-INT ratio for 500 passing yards. This will be Nunez’s first start for the 2017 season.
Miami Hurricanes: Junior running back Mark Walton to undergo season-ending ankle surgery
- Mark Walton was in the midst of having another productive season until this past Saturday’s conclusion against Florida State where he sustained his unspecified ankle injury. Miami Hurricanes head coach Mark Richt spoke to the media on the extent of the injury saying “I won’t get into that, I’m not even sure exactly what they call it. I’ll let somebody else talk about that.“ and the prognosis of Walton’s injury “It’ll be a season-ending surgery. I think that’s pretty clear. I know it’s the type of surgery that guys that have had it have recovered 100 percent and never had an issue with that type of thing again. That’s the good news on that type of deal, but I don’t know what we’re going to do yet. We’ve got some guys that are already playing running back that are doing well.” Mark Walton will finish the 2017 season with 56 carries for a team-leading 428 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns. The Hurricanes will now turn to Travis Homer and Malik Rosier as the two likely candidates that will compete for the starting running back role.
Oregon Ducks: Willie Taggart undecided on starting quarterback for Saturday’s game vs. Washington State
- Oregon Ducks head coach Willie Taggart spoke to the media before Wednesday’s practice saying “We still have today’s practice, tomorrow’s practice, Friday’s practice and we have a late game so we have all day Saturday.” Oregon Ducks are down one quarterback as Justin Herbert sustained a broken collarbone vs. Cal and will miss roughly 5-6 weeks. Replacing Herbert against Cal was Taylor Alie who is the currently the fan favorite to start this Saturday. Freshman quarterback is also battling for the chance to start Braxton Burmeister, this will likely come down to a game-time decision for Taggart’s Ducks.
Akron Zips: Running back Warren Ball undergoes Fibula surgery and will miss remainder of the year
- A former recruit to Ohio State, Warren Ball sustained a broken a Fibula in last Saturday’s win over Bowling Green. This season, Ball looked to make a name for himself for the 2018 NFL Draft and he looked impressive in games against Arkansas Pine-Bluff and the other week vs. Troy, both games he ran for over 100 yards and had at least a touchdown. This fibula injury really effects Ball’s draft stock. Warren Ball has the measurements of an NFL running back at 6’1” 225 Ibs but his injury history will be a concern. A broken fibula takes about 6-weeks to heal barring any setbacks, Ball should be ready for his Pro Day and try to turn his diminished draft stock around.
Oregon Ducks: Ducks quarterback Justin Herbert sustains broken collarbone in win against Cal
- In Saturday’s victory over the Cal Golden Bears, Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert sustained a broken collarbone. Justin Herbert sustained the injury in the first quarter of Saturday’s game when he was battling to get into the end zone when a number of Golden Bears hit Herbert in the process, breaking his collarbone. In replacement for Herbert, Oregon went with redshirt senior Taylor Alie. Justin Herbert’s collarbone is expected to take 5-8 weeks to heal which could get him back in time for the final two games of the season (Washington & Arizona) or could cost him the season. In the meantime, Taylor Alie will continue to take over as the starter.
September 4th, 2017
California Golden Bears: Golden Bears running back Tre Watson done for the season (body injury)
- During Saturday’s game against Weber State, Tre Watson sustained a lower-body injury and has been ruled out for the season.In two games this season, Tre Watson had a total of 83 rushing yards on 18 carries with no touchdowns. Going forward the Golden Bears will work with Vic Enwere as their primary go to back while Patrick Laird will follow suit as his backup.
Northern Illinois Huskies: Quarterback Ryan Graham ruled out 2/4 weeks with sprained elbow
- Northern Illinois junior quarterback Ryan Graham has been ruled out two-to-four weeks due to a sprained elbow sustained in tonight’s loss to Boston College. Ryan Graham sustained his shoulder injury in the fourth quarter but did not leave the game likely further aggravating his shoulder even more. With Ryan Graham possibly out up to a month, the Huskies will work with red-shirt freshman Daniel Santacaterina who lost the quarterback battle to Graham during offseason practice.
Indiana Hoosiers: Nick Westbrook tears ACL in opening kickoff vs. Ohio State
- On the opening kickoff of Thursday’s game against Ohio State, Nick Westbrook tore his ACL and will miss the remainder of the season.Nick Westbrook is a valuable piece of the Hoosiers offense as he is the best receiver on the team’s roster. Last season, Westbrook caught 54 receptions for 995 yards and six touchdowns. With Nick Westbrook done for the year, the Hoosiers will turn to receivers Simmie Cobbs and Luke Timian as their 1-2 core receivers for the remainder of the season.
August 28th, 2017
Oklahoma Sooners: Kyler Murray named backup quarterback to Baker Mayfield
- Oklahoma transfer Kyler Murray has been named the backup quarterback to starter Baker Mayfield for the season. Kyle Murray has been battling out for the backup role with Austin Kendall who is now being rumored to be redshirting this year. Kyle Murray will be playing a bare minimum this season unless an injury occurs to starter Baker Mayfield. Baker Mayfield is in his final season of eligibility which means Murray will be all in for the starting gig next season.
Central Michigan Chippewas: Central Michigan to run 2-QB system vs. Rhode Island
- Central Michigan Life reports that Central Michigan plans on having both senior quarterback Shane Morris and redshirt freshman Tony Poljan start vs. Rhode Island. Central Michigan head coach John Bonamego says that the winner of the starting job will be determined following the Chippewas game vs. Rhode Island. Central Michigan is in new look mode at quarterback as former quarterback Cooper Rush is now in the NFL with the Cowboys, leaving the quarterback spot vacant. We would expect CMU to start Shane Morris out of the gate then have Tony Poljan wrap up the game but anything can happen it could be a game-time decision on who gets the starting reps. It should be an interesting competition Thursday night.
Cincinnati Bearcats: Bearcats name Hayden Moore starting quarterback
- The Cincinnati Bearcats have named junior quarterback Hayden Moore starting quarterback. The Bearcats are currently in a post-Gunner Kiel time period and the starting gig this year saw Moore overtake Ross Trail. Last season, Hayden Moore was named starter over Gunner Kiel but ultimately lost the job due to poor performance earlier in the season. Last year, Moore completed 57.3% of his passes for 1,744 yards and posting an 11/7 TD-INT ratio. Hayden Moore will lead the charge for the Bearcats vs. Austin-Peay this Thursday night.