2017 NBA Season News
Stay up to date on all the latest news and updates during the 2017/2018 NBA Season
NBA News: October 17th, 2017
Utah Jazz: Jazz guard Dante Exum to undergo surgery on his AC Joint
- Jazz guard Dante Exum has decided to undergo surgery to stabilize his AC Joint in his left shoulder. This is a huge disappointment as Exum is coming off a a very productive preseason. Dante Exum will undergo surgery on Tuesday and following his surgery we should know how long he will be sidelined for. In replacement for Exum, the Utah Jazz have Raul Neto listed behind Exum who was backup for newly acquired Ricky Rubio but expect Donovan Mitchell to be in play for Exum’s minutes this season.
NBA News: October 16th, 2017
Denver Nuggets: Nuggets are expected to release Jameer Nelson to make room for Richard Jefferson
- ESPN.com’s Adrian Wojnarowski broke the news that the Denver Nuggets are closing in on signing free agent Richard Jefferson. In order to officially sign Richard Jefferson, the Nuggets need to open up a roster spot and Jameer Nelson is the likely victim of getting cut. Jameer Nelson has spent the past three seasons with the Nuggets after getting traded from the Boston Celtics for Nate Robinson in 2015. Nelson, 35, is outside of his prime but can still be a nice addition to the bench piece for a team like San Antonio and the Los Angeles Clippers.
Portland Trail Blazers: Trail Blazers release Archie Goodwin, Anthony Morrow and Isaiah Briscoe
- Roster cuts are among us to meet the season mandatory 15-man roster. All three players have had an impressive preseason but the releasing of all three stars was understandable due to the amount of money the team will be saving in luxury tax. Archie Goodwin made a big case for himself to be on an NBA roster this year with his 23 point outing in the preseason finale, and he signed a non-guaranteed deal last month. At some point, these preseason stars should get looks from teams.
Memphis Grizzlies: Grizzlies waive guard Wade Baldwin after attempting to trade him
- The Memphis Grizzlies tried trading away 21-year old point guard Wade Baldwin but after no offers, the Grizzlies waived him. Wade Baldwin, 21, is the Grizzlies former 1st round selection out of Vanderbilt in 2016 and spent the majority of his rookie season flip-flopping between the NBA and the then D-League. During camp, Wade Baldwin has been competing with Mario Chalmers who is working his way back from an Achilles injury and after a strong preseason, he won the battle against Baldwin. Wade Baldwin should receive interest on waivers due to him still in that learning and growing phase. He would be a nice addition on the bench or development in the G-League.
Phoenix Suns: Suns release forward Anthony Bennett and guard Peter Jok
- Anthony Bennett has now been on five teams since joining the NBA in 2013 and has still not found a long-term stay with a team. Bennett, 24, was hoping to latch on with a NBA team during the preseason after spending three months overseas with Fenerbahçe. His release from the Suns and likely little interest from other teams could result in Bennett trying his luck overseas once again. Peter Jok, 23, was an undrafted free agent signee by the Pelicans and would spend the Summer League playing for them before getting cut by them following the league play. The Phoenix Suns signed Jok to a partially-guarenteed deal but would not make the team.