Follow Justin Kish for daily updates: @JustinDavidKish
Milwaukee Brewers (NL Central): Brewers designated Tommy Milone for assignment. | May 1st, 2017
- This will be Tommy Milone‘s second time being designated for assignment by the Brewers since joining the club. Last season he was designated for assignment but cleared waivers and remained with the team for the remainder of last season. Out of Spring Training, Tommy Milone won a bullpen spot but he sealed his fate on April 29th against Atlanta where he gave up six hits, four earned runs (2 home runs) in 2 innings of work. The Brewers called up RHP Rob Scahill from AAA – Colorado Springs to replace Milone. Tommy Milone has a very reasonable salary at $1.25 million where a team can swoop him up to add him in either in their bullpen or need help in the back of their rotation. Tommy Milone could have a reasonable market on the waiver wire.
San Francisco Giants (NL West): Giants designate Neil Ramirez for assignment, promote Bryan Morris from AAA. | April 30th, 2017
- Neil Ramirez sealed his fate with the San Francisco Giants last night where he was crushed for three hits and six earned runs through 1.2 innings. This has been a continuing trend for the Giants as their bullpen continues to fail them and push them out of contention in the NL West. Being recalled from AAA – Sacramento is Bryan Morris. Bryan Morris has had a solid MLB career and current minor league stint so far this season. Bryan Morris has a zero ERA in five games at AAA this season. Hopefully, he can carry his stellar performance up at the big league level and help this struggling Giants bullpen.
Texas Rangers (AL West): Texas Rangers claimed infielder Pete Kozma off waivers from the New York Yankees. | April 30th, 2017
- Pete Kozma was designated for assignment by the New York Yankees back on April 28th when the Yankees activated infielder Didi Gregorius from the disabled list. Pete Kozma has solid defensive ability but depending on him on hitting, not so much. Pete Kozma is batting .111 this season. The addition of Kozma is a sign that the Rangers will send slumping former top prospect Jurickson Profar to AAA-Round Rock. The move has yet to be confirmed by the Texas Rangers.
Toronto Blue Jays (AL East): Toronto Blue Jays designated Jarrod Saltalamacchia for assignment. | April 28th, 2017
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia is struggling behind the plate and when he is hitting so if you put those two together it is surely time to move on. Saltalamacchia, 31, is currently hitting a dreadful .40 (1 for 25). His fielding production has been on a decline as well as he is 1-9 in base running throw outs so far this season. Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be replaced by a much younger player in Luke Maile who will play behind Russell Martin. Salty should resurface at some point in the near future, he will land a minor league contract.
Washington Nationals (NL East): Jeremy Guthrie elects free agency. | April 17th, 2017
- Jeremy Guthrie has decided to elect free agency rather than head to the minors in hopes of probably redeeming himself down there before making his way back to the MLB level with the Nationals. Guthrie in his lone outing for the Nationals this season was demolished by the Phillies by giving up 12 runs and in the process did not finish out the 1st inning for the Nationals. Jeremy Guthrie, 38, is on his last legs in his career but if a team decides to sign him it will all then likely be a minor league deal.
Atlanta Braves (NL East): Braves sign pitcher Jason Motte to minor league deal. | April 9th, 2017
- The so-so called rebuilding Atlanta Braves add another veteran player to their team. Jason Motte was cut by the Colorado Rockies last week after posting disappointing numbers during Spring Training and found him to be expendable. Jason Motte, 34, will report to AAA-Gwinnett and will work a few games before possibly getting the call-up to join the Braves at some point this month.
Washington Nationals (NL East): Nationals re-sign Joe Nathan, DFA Jeremy Guthrie. | April 9th, 2017
- This is one of many moves the Nationals did today in order to improve their bullpen struggles. Joe Nathan is coming back to the Nationals after posting poor numbers during Spring Training but the team is willing to give him another shot to redeem himself. Now, as for Jeremy Guthrie his run in MLB is very much coming to an end as his recent outing against the Phillies was so bad the team decided to move on from him. The Nationals recalled Matt Albers from AAA-Syracuse to take the roster spot of Guthrie.
San Francisco Giants (NL West): Giants sign Melvin Upton Jr. to minor league deal. | April 8th, 2017
- The San Francisco Giants signed outfielder Melvin Upton Jr.. This is an interesting move by the 1-4 Giants who are now clear from a Denard Span injury scare as he is in the lineup tonight against the Padres. This move is merely minor league depth but never count out Upton potentially getting a call back up to the majors sometime down the line in 2017. The Giants have Gorkys Hernandez as their primary reserve outfielder.
Toronto Blue Jays (AL East): Blue Jays release pitcher Gavin Floyd. | April 6th, 2017
- The Toronto Blue Jays announced they have released pitcher Gavin Floyd. Gavin Floyd is currently rehabbing a shoulder injury which kept him out of the game for quite some time. When healthy, Floyd is a solid enough piece for a team’s bullpen but with so many injuries sidelining him, it is very hard for a team to rely on him down the stretch of a full season. Once Floyd is healthy he will land a minor league deal.
San Francisco Giants (NL West): Giants sign outfielder Drew Stubbs. | April 6th, 2017
- The San Francisco Giants signed outfielder Drew Stubbs to a minor league contract. The Giants are adding depth as news broke that Denard Span is dealing with a hip injury and exactly how bad it is currently unknown. The addition of Stubbs is just for minor league depth in case a replacement outfielder is promoted from AAA if Span will land on the disabled list.
Toronto Blue Jays (AL East): Blue Jays release Melvin Upton Jr. | April 2nd, 2017
- The Toronto Blue Jays announced they have released outfielder Melvin Upton Jr.. The Toronto Blue Jays spent the better part of time trying to trade away Melvin Upton but no team decided to trade any pieces or cash considerations to acquire him. Upton is now on waivers and the Detroit Tigers are rumored to be the team that has the highest interest in bringing him in.
Miami Marlins (NL East): Marlins sign Vance Worley to minor league contract. | April 2nd, 2017
- The Miami Marlins have signed pitcher Vance Worley to a minor league contract. Vance Worley was in camp with the Washington Nationals this spring but failed to win a role in the team’s bullpen. Vance Worley will head to AAA-Indianapolis and await his chance at the major league level with the Marlins.
San Diego Padres (NL West): Padres release first baseman Brett Wallace. | April 2nd, 2017
- The San Diego Padres have released first baseman, Brett Wallace. This is a move that should have been done sooner rather than later as Wallace was struggling badly in during his time at the MLB level in 2016. This spring he fell completely off as he struck out 18 times. Wallace, 30, will all likely get a minor league deal at some point.
Cincinnati Reds (NL Central): Reds release outfielder Desmond Jennings. | April 1st, 2017
- The Cincinnati Reds announced that they have released outfielder Desmond Jennings. Desmond Jennings was with the team for just a quick cup of tea as he was signed back on February 3rd. Desmond Jennings came into Reds camp to compete for an outfield reserve spot but did not prove enough to earn a spot on the bench. This spring Jennings hit .195 with 2 HR’s and 9 RBI’s. This move could also be about money as Jennings would have made $1.5 if he made the MLB roster. Desmond Jennings will have to settle for minor league deal at some point.
Tampa Bay Rays (AL East): Rays shockingly DFA Nick Franklin. | April 1st, 2017
- The Rays have designated infielder Nick Franklin for assignment. This is incredibly interesting that the Rays would be doing something like this. Nick Franklin had a very strong spring, Franklin batted .362 with 2 HR’s and 8 RBI’s. The very versatile Nick Franklin is now on waivers and surely a team would pick up Franklin up.
Seattle Mariners (AL West): Mariners sign Gordon Beckham to minor league contract. | March 31st, 2017
- The Seattle Mariners announced they have signed former San Francisco Giants 2B Gordon Beckham to a minor league deal. Gordon Beckham failed to capture a roster spot with the San Francisco Giants this spring and decided to opt out of his contract with the Giants. Gordon Beckham will serve as minor league depth for the Mariners and will be called-up when the situation presents itself.
Arizona Diamondbacks (NL West): Diamondbacks promote J.J. Hoover from AAA-Reno. | March 31st, 2017
- The Arizona Diamondbacks have purchased the contract of relief pitcher J.J. Hoover from AAA-Reno. J.J. Hoover earned a roster spot after a very strong spring outing in which he threw 10 scoreless innings and striking out 12 batters. The addition of Hoover to the bullpen could likely round-up their bullpen.