In 2018, we decided to move all football news related content into one area of the site. Below you can follow football news by date and see all the latest news from all your favorite teams in multiple leagues including CFL starting this year.
Pro Football News: June 3rd, 2018
Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL): Receiver Shamawd Chambers tears ACL out for 2018
- Entering his second season with the Ti-Cats, Shamawd Chambers tore his ACL and will be out for the 2018 season. Chambers, 29, was traded from the Eskimos to Hamilton for two low-level draft picks back in September 2017. In 7-games for the Ti-Cats, Chambers caught 28 receptions for 279 yards. With Chambers done for the year, the TiCats will now turn to other options like Damarr Aultman and Felix Faubert-Lussier. (Source: Drew Edwards – 3rd Down Nation)
Cleveland Browns (NFL): Browns sign former Eagles LB Mychal Kendricks
- With this signing came drama. Earlier this morning, there were reports that the Browns are the favorite to land Kendricks but no contract agreement was reached at the time. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport tweeted around 12:00pm ET that a deal has been reached with the Browns which lead to Kendricks tweeting he does not have his respect. Anyways, the addition of Kendricks is a big veteran addition for the Browns as they have a stronger middle of the field with Collins and Kirksey. (Source: Ian Rapoport) (Update 2:27pm ET: Kendricks denies signing with the Browns, despite Rapoport tweet).
Pro Football News: May 30th, 2018
Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL): Steelers TE Jake McGee tears Achilles in practice
- The injury will cost him the 2018 season. The former Flordia Gator has been bouncing around the NFL since coming into the league in 2016. Jake signed with the Steelers this offseason of cracking a roster-spot in 2018 but he would have played behind Jesse James and Vance McDonald. Once healthy, McGee should get another shot next season. (Source: Mike Garafolo)
Saskatchewan Roughriders (CFL): Roughriders sign former NFL RB Tre Mason
- Former St.Louis/Los Angeles Rams running back Tre Mason has resurfaced and has signed with the Roughriders of the CFL. Tre Mason, 24, has been away from football the last two-years after dealing with his legal issues which held him out of football in 2016 and also in 2017. We last heard about Mason was when former Auburn teammate Ricardo Louis (Browns wide receiver) said that Mason was interested in playing in 2017 but nothing surfaced beyond that. Tre Mason is a talented back who had a productive rookie season but it was his off the field issues that pulled him back from returning to the NFL. Mason will work his way back through the CFL and with the Roughriders. He will compete against Zac Stacy for reps behind starting running back Jerome Messam. (Source: CFL on Instagram)
Pro Football News: May 24th, 2018
Green Bay Packers (NFL): Packers sign TE Marcedes Lewis
- The Packers are doubling up at tight end this offseason as Lewis will be joining Jimmy Graham in Green Bay for 2018. Marcedes Lewis, 34, spent 12 years in Jacksonville leaving behind a legacy and Jaguars Hall of Fame career. The addition of Lewis gives the Packers the best tight end duo in the NFC North and with Aaron Rodgers at the helm Lewis should generate a decent season. One thing to note, the addition of Lewis does put the roster spot of Lance Kendricks in jeopardy. That is something to note during Packers camp. (Source: Mike Garafolo)
Pro Football News: May 22nd, 2018
Los Angeles Chargers (NFL): Hunter Henry tears ACL, done for 2018 season
- This is such a crushing blow for the Los Angeles Chargers as Henry was predicted and expected to have a huge season for the Chargers this coming year. With Hunter Henry done for the season, the Chargers are now tasked with replacing him. Earlier this offseason, the Chargers decided to move on from Antonio Gates as they had no plans to re-sign him this offseason. The Chargers are in a situation where they will look for a one-year flier on a free agent and Gates’s name is a possibility. The Chargers will go forward with Virgil Green at starter which will leave the possibility of the team adding another veteran behind him. Free agents Julius Thomas, Brent Celek, Coby Fleener are among available free agents should the Chargers add a veteran. (Source: Adam Schefter)
Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Eagles release LB Mychal Kendricks
- After six seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, Mychal Kendricks became a cap casualty this offseason. The releasing of Kendricks cleared $6 million dollars and over a million in dead money. In 2017, Kendricks had a bounce-back season (51 tackles, 2 sacks) after 2016 was a down year due to issues with then new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Now a free agent, Kendricks will explore the free agent market and could be heavily sought after. We would expect teams like Kansas City, Green Bay and Indianapolis to all have potential interest in the linebacker.
Pro Football News: May 19th, 2018
Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL): Ti-Cats sign QB Johnny Manziel
- CombackSZN is officially underway and it will start north of the border in the CFL with the Ti-Cats. There was a lot of news of Manziel heading to the CFL but it was a rollercoaster as he held out a bit (playing in the Spring League) for potential interest from an NFL team but nothing came of it. Now an official CFL player and of the Ti-Cats, the former Heisman Trophy winner will now enter the camp and compete for the starting job as he will battle 2017 breakout quarterback Jeremiah Masoli. (Source: Johnny Manziel)
Edmonton Eskimos (CFL): Eskimos release RB John White
- In a report by 3 Down Nation writer Justin Dunk, the Eskimos officially released John White. White, 27, was re-signed this offseason to return to the backup role to C.J. Gable who took over as the starter when White went down to ACL tear in week 2 last season. With John White released, the Eskimos will enter camp with C.J. Gable, LaDarius Perkins and rookies Shaquille Cooper, Tanner Green and Chris Amoah at running back. (Source: Justin Dunk – 3rd Down Nation)
Winnipeg Blue Bombers: Blue Bombers sign LB Adam Bighill
- After five seasons with the BC Lions and one-year with the NFL’s New Orleans Saints, Adam Bighill returns to the CFL and signed with the Blue Bombers. Adam Bighill, 29, spent 2017 out of the CFL as he signed with the New Orleans Saints where he played in three games before bouncing around from waivers and the practice squad. Now signed and sealed and returning to the CFL in 2018, Bighill will be the key piece in the middle of the defense for the Blue Bombers this season. (Source: Blue Bombers via Twitter)
Pro Football News: May 14th, 2018
Houston Texans (NFL): Texans claim QB Stephen Morris off waivers from Seahawks
- Stephen Morris, 25, will be joining his sixth NFL franchise since signing as an undrafted free agent in 2014. In his four-year NFL career, Morris has been most notably known for his time in Indianapolis. Morris will compete for a roster spot against Joe Webb in camp. (Source: Ian Rapoport – NFL Network)
Indianapolis Colts: Colts meeting with Tre Boston and Kenny Vaccaro
- The Colts could be looking to take a flier on a safety after the draft and with the safety market still strong veterans like Boston and Vaccaro both remain. The Colts have a solidified free safety in Malik Hooker who is coming off a very strong rookie season last year, the Colts could want to add a veteran at strong safety and either Boston and Vaccaro both fit the mold. (Source: Ian Rapoport)
New York Jets (NFL): Jets claim OL Antonio Garcia off waivers from Patriots
- Antonio Garcia was the New England Patriots third-round selection in 2017, but his time with the Patriots was short-lived. In September of 2017, Garcia developed blood clots in his lungs and was later placed on the NFI list ending his rookie season. The Patriots found him expendable after drafting Georgia offensive tackle Isaiah Wynn. Garcia will compete for a reserve role during camp. (Source: Rich Cimini)
Pro Football News: May 10th, 2018
Carolina Panthers (NFL): Panthers RB Fozzy Whittaker tears ACL, done for year
- As OTA’s are underway, the injury bug is still around. Fozzy Whittaker, 29, entered camp his year with his spot on the roster on the line after the signing of C.J. Anderson. With Whittaker done for the year, Cameron Artis-Payne will now be boosted as the #3 back in Carolina behind Christian McCaffery and Anderson. Whittaker could be in the same position battle next season.
Detroit Lions (NFL): Lions waive RB Tion Green
- Tion Green did not amass to much during his lone season with the Lions as he ran for 165 yards on 42 carries and 2 touchdowns. Green will look to see what team will take a flier on him on waivers but some sources say a reunion with Detroit on their practice squad could be a possibility.
New York Giants (NFL): Giants waive RB Paul Perkins
- Paul Perkins was waived after sustaining a torn pectoral during a private workout. Paul Perkins was the Giants 5th round selection in 2016 and was expected to have a reduced workload in 2018 with the addition of Barkley and Jonathan Stewart. Should the Giants retain Perkins he will be sent straight to injured-reserve.
Oakland Raiders (NFL): Raiders release QB Josh Johnson
- Signed just two months ago, Josh Johnson is now back on the free agent market and will continue to become a journeyman. Johnson will look to join his 12th team in his NFL career.
Pro Football News: May 8th, 2018
Oakland Raiders (NFL): Raiders release RB Elijah Hood
- Elijah Hood was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the 7th round of the 2017 NFL Draft and had a hard time getting carries in his rookie season. This offseason it started to get much harder on Hood as the Raiders kept Marshawn Lynch and added Doug Martin to back him up leaving Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington following suit. Hood could resurface with a team looking to add an extra back during camp.
Pro Football News: May 7th, 2018
San Francisco 49ers (NFL): 49ers release OL Zane Beadles
- Two years into his lucrative three-year contract, Zane Beadles has taken steps back in recent years and this offseason the 49ers found him expendable. The releasing of Beadles saves the 49ers $3.5 million dollars which is way to much for an offensive lineman on a decline. Zane Beadles has been flexible upon the offensive line which could interest teams but he will likely land a one-year try-out contract.
Carolina Panthers (NFL): Panthers sign RB C.J. Anderson
- After deciding against adding another running back in the NFL Draft, the Panthers decided to add a veteran instead in C.J. Anderson. This is a big worry for Christian McCaffery as Anderson is already established himself as an every down back so he will be looking at split-carries with him this coming year. As for Fozzy Whittaker and Cameron Artis-Payne, their roster spot’s could be in danger so it will be a story to watch during camp. (Source: Ian Rapoport)
Pro Football News: May 4th, 2018
Arizona Cardinals (NFL): Cardinals moving RB Elijhaa Penny to fullback?
- A power running back his entire football career, the Arizona Cardinals are transitioning from Penny to fullback. Last season, Penny had 31 carries for 134 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns in his rookie campaign with the Cardinals. Penny was also active in the Cardinals passing game as he caught 4 receptions for 38 yards. This will be a big-time transition for Penny but it will set him up to be a lock on the team’s final roster after camp. (Source: Mike Jurecki)
Miami Dolphins (NFL): Dolphins claim QB Bryce Petty off waivers from Jets
- As predicted in our Jets write up regarding Petty, the Dolphins were a team of our interest to have potential interest in Petty and it turns out to be a perfect fit. This offseason, the Dolphins lost both Matt Moore and rocky 2017 starter Jay Cutler. The Dolphins entered the 2018 draft with rumors on drafting a quarterback but they decided against it. Bryce Petty joins the Dolphins where he will compete with Brock Osweiler and David Fales for the backup role behind Ryan Tannehill. Petty could the early favorite to win. (Source: Field Yates)
Pro Football News: May 3rd, 2018
New York Jets (NFL): Jets waive QB Bryce Petty
- Carrying five quarterbacks after the 2018 NFL Draft, the New York Jets decided that Petty was not in the team’s long-term future and decided to waive him. Petty, 26, was the New York Jets 4th round selection in 2015 but never lived up to his draft status in New York. In his two seasons in New York, Petty started 7 games for the Jets compiling 1,353 passing yards, 4 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions while completing 53.1% of his passes. Bryce Petty’s stay on waivers could be short as there are some team’s looking to add a backup quarterback like Cincinnati and Miami. (Source: Manish Mehta – New York Daily News)
Pro Football News: April 30th, 2018
Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL): Jaguars release WR Jaelen Strong
- After just one appearance with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2017, the team waived Jaelen Strong. Jaelen Strong played in the Jaguars week 16 matchup against the San Francisco 49ers in which he tore his ACL. It is tough to say what his status will be once the season opens up as injury concerns now join his off the field issues and league violation issues.
Green Bay Packers: Packers waive QB Joe Callahan after 2-seasons
- After spending two seasons with the Green Bay Packers the team decided to let go of Joe Callahan. Callahan, 24, like former Titans quarterback Alex Tanney, was buried under their then team’s depth chart after the draft. This offseason, the Packers acquired DeShone Kizer from the Browns and he is more of an improvement developmental piece behind Aaron Rodgers. Joe Callahan could be looked at on the waiver wire by a team looking to add a #3 quarterback.
Tennessee Titans (NFL): Titans waive QB Alex Tanney
- Alex Tanney announced the release via his personal Twitter account this afternoon. Alex Tanney was being buried on the team’s depth chart with the addition of Blaine Gabbert and his fate was sealed with the selection of Luke Falk. Since joining the NFL in 2012, Tanney has been with 7 different teams as quarterback depth. Alex Tanney should resurface on a team’s roster before training camp.