Bellator 183: Benson Henderson vs. Patricky Freire Results/Quotes
Bellator 183: Benson Henderson vs. Patrick Freire took place on September 24th, 2017. Headling the event was a lightweight bout between Benson “Smooth” Henderson taking on Patricky Freire. Also on the card, Paul Daley takes on Lorenz Larkin and Roy Nelson makes his Bellator MMA debut against Javy Ayala. Bellator Kickboxing 7 was also apart of the event as well. Click here for event photos.
- Lightweight Main Event: Patricky Freire defeated Benson Henderson via split-decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28).
- Welterweight: Paul Daley defeated Lorenz Larkin via second-round knockout (punches).
- Heavyweight: Roy Nelson defeated Javy Ayala via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28).
- Featherweight: Aaron Pico defeated Justin Linn via 1st-round knockout (punch).
- Lightweight: Goti Yamauchi defeated Adam Piccolotti via 1st round submission (rear-naked choke).
Bellator Kickboxing 7:
- Featherweight Main Event: Kevin Ross defeated Domenico Lomurno via split-decision (48-47, 47-48, 49-46).
- Welterweight: *Raymond Daniels defeated Karim Ghajji (C) via TKO (doctor stoppage).
- Middleweight: Joe Schilling defeated Najib Idali via TKO (doctor stoppage).
- Featherweight: Jorina Baars defeated Anke Van Gestel via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27).
- Welterweight: Malaipet defeated Jose Palacios via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
Post Event-Fighter Quotes:
Patricky Freire: “I want the champion. I want Brent Primus. Tonight I took down another former champion and I want my shot at that belt,” Patricky Freire said. “He keeps running from me but now it’s time. I want that belt and after tonight I earned my shot at it. Benson Henderson is a good, tough fighter, but I’ve got my mind on the division title now. You can’t keep running Primus.”
Paul Daley: “The fight went as planned. I felt great and I knew how this would end,” Paul Daley said. “Lorenz Larkin was acting very uncharacteristically leading up to the fight and when I saw all of his antics and whatnot, I knew the fight would only end one way and that’s with him flat on the canvas.”
Roy Nelson: “The goal was just to go out there, get the win, and work my game a little bit. It felt good to throw some bombs for these fans in San Jose. I had to give Bellator some footage to use, especially since the UFC doesn’t license anything out,” Roy Nelson said. “It was a tough fight and Javy’s a talented fighter. Really, any heavyweight has power and if you connect the other person is definitely going to get knocked out and that is exactly what these fans come to see.”
Aaron Pico: “First of all, hats off to Justin [Linn]. He’s a great competitor and I knew it was going to be a tough fight. It feels good fighting at 145-pounds. This is my natural weight and it felt great. I’m going to have to watch the replay of this fight because I’m not even sure how I hit him, it was just very instinctual. I always knew that I had very powerful hands and I’m not being cocky, I’m just confident because I spar with some of the best boxers in the world over at Team Bodyshop in Long Beach. The key to this fight was just relaxing because I knew that as long as I was relaxed in there, my skillset was going to show.”