Here are your professional football news and rumors from February 27th, 2017.
National Football League
- Franchise Tags: According to Adam Schefter on Twitter it is being said that the following players Kirk Cousins, Le’Veon Bell, Kawann Short, Melvin Ingram, Trumaine Johnson will all be franchise tagged by their teams. The franchise tag puts a lock on the player coming back to play for the team during the 2017 season and closes all possible discussions these players could have with other teams during free agency.
- Tony Romo: According to The Dallas Morning News, the team could possibly cut Tony Romo “within the next two weeks” if a trade is not made. This has been the story offseason and will continue until Romo finds a brand new home for 2017. Tony Romo is closely being to the Denver Broncos who themselves said this morning that they will speak with Tony Romo once he hits the free agent market. The quarterback situation in Denver is up for grabs between Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian if Tony Romo is not a Denver Bronco next season.
- Cleveland Browns: The Cleveland Browns announced this morning that they have released wide receiver Andrew Hawkins. After signing a four-year contract with the Browns back in 2014, Hawkins had a solid 2014 campaign which saw him catch 63 reps for 824 yards and 2 touchdowns but since then he played a minor role with the Browns. Andrew Hawkins will look to latch on to team who needs depth at receiver. Hawkins is 31 years old.
Canadian Football League
- Toronto Argonauts: According to Arash Madani on Twitter, former Chicago Bears head coach and Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Marc Trestman will be returning to the CFL to coach the Argonauts. Marc Trestman had a unmemorable run with the Chicago Bears as he failed to turnaround the career of Jay Cutler and help improve the Chicago Bears team as a whole. Marc Trestman’s best run with the team came in his first season in 2013 where he lead them to an 8-8 record. Following his run in Chicago he was signed as offensive coordinator for the Ravens and served as coordinator for the 2015 season and part of the 2016 season but was fired this past October and replaced by Marty Mornhinweg. Trestman will be returning to the CFL and to a team Argonauts team who need a new look in scenery after coming off a 5-13 season.
- CFL To NFL: Toronto Argonauts offensive lineman Greg Van Roten has been signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Categories: All Articles